Monday 26 July 2010

Want To Be a Games Designer? Read These!

Following up on my last substantial blog post that was about looking outside of the box when researching I have decided to form a list of text books that I have read that I think are invaluable to creating videogames on every level (as well as creating many other things in the design spectrum). I will also throw in a few books that I have not yet read but have had recommended to me. If anyone reads them before I do or has read them already let me know what you thought of them please. On that note lets see what books I think are important.

1# FLOW.
Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi
In terms of design this textbook, as I discussed in my last major blog post, discusses the psychology on how to understand as well as to achieve happiness. This may seem a bit ‘hippy like’ to some but if we take and step back and look at the larger picture the information inside becomes invaluable when designing a game. Videogames are meant to ignite enjoyment, achievement and a sense of fulfilment. These are not possible without the understanding of happiness and how the human mind achieves this state. It also will allow you to understand how to take control of your life and to identify the many elements that can take that control away from you. In the process you may even end up happy yourself…



2# The Writers Journey. 
Christopher Vogler
If you want to design your own games then this book is excellent when it comes to writing stories. It gives us a systematic understanding of how stories affect people as well as how to write them. Game narrative as a rule is more complicated than writing for a film or writing a novel yet these guidelines will allow us to understand the psychology of consumers when posed by certain types of stories. With a little intelligence and risk this should help you create stories that are worth playing through whether they are 4 minutes long or 60 hours.



3# Homo Ludens. Johan Huizinga
A brilliant theory book that looks into the reasons man needs to play. Homos Ludens itself means, “Man the Player” and discusses the importance of play in culture and society. I guess the questions may arise in yourself of how can you create a truly remarkable game without knowing the real reasons that one needs to play? Or you may gain some insight into the human need to enjoy themselves through games? Maybe the realization that videogames are an important cultural medium will give you confidence? Any of these things may occur when reading texts that investigate the reasons why we want to play videogames and in turn will help you create better and more substantial games. Anyone can make games that may be true, but knowing why and how they work will help you make better games.


4# Creativity.
Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi
Another great textbook by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi that looks into the theory of flow in order to understand creativity. This book in itself may not explain how to make better games but what it does do is help you understand the creative process as well as help you enrich your work with a great creative ethos.





These are the books that I have recently read and have helped enrich my creativity as well as help me focus on my own work. In terms of my work ethos it’s also made me want to create exceptional pieces of work for others to enjoy and not myself. In light of this I have also started seeing games design (not games art) as I huge jigsaw puzzle that needs to be pieced together to see the whole picture which gets me highly excited when embarking on a new project.
Other books that I have been recommended are below. I hope to obtain these sometime this month so I can have a read of them before I go back to finish my MA in September.

1# The Laws of Simplicity – J Maeda
2# Universal Principles of Design
3# Emotional Design – Donald Norman
4# The Design of Every Day Things - Donald Norman
5# Hows and Whys of Level Design – Sjoerd De Jong



No comments: